St. Joseph Mercy Oakland (SJMO) is a 443-bed comprehensive, community and teaching hospital and a long-time leader in health care in Oakland County. The hospital is located on the west side of Woodward, just north of Square Lake Road in Pontiac, Michigan.
It is a member of the Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, a subsidiary of Trinity Health, the country’s fourth largest Catholic health care system. A member of the Pontiac community for more than 80 years, SJMO’s $54.5 million renovation and expansion of its west wing demonstrate its commitment to meeting the needs of the community. Our new, two-story, 50,000-square-foot Surgical Pavilion enables us to combine advanced technology with compassionate care to create a unique healing environment.
A different experience The St. Joseph Mercy Oakland (SJMO) experience is different from that of other hospitals and is what makes SJMO a leading health care institution.
As a health care leader, SJMO
- Is ranked in the top five percent of hospitals across the nation for clinical excellence.
Has earned itself a position among the top 50 cardiovascular programs in the United States.
- Is Michigan’s first certified primary stroke center and one of 19 in the state today with this designation.
- Has received national recognition for palliative care programs.
- Is recognized as a center of excellence for women and children’s services.
- Is a nationally recognized leader in joint care and a model for orthopedic programs across the country.
- Offers a continuum of care for Cancer treatment, with access to ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options.
- Is Northern Oakland County’s hospital of choice and has received national recognition for being in the forefront of patient safety and quality. It has transformed the way care is delivered by uniting state-of-the-art computer information systems to create a 21st century health care organization providing world-class patient care and safety.
The heart of the hospital is comprised of a team of understanding nurses, physicians, administrative staff, volunteers and families. These people are here for one reason: the patients. Day in and day out, this dedicated team consistently provides compassionate care and services that make a difference in the health and well-being of the communities and patients they serve by making personal connections. For example, SJMO has launched an Hispanic clinic for women’s health, created a health care clinic for the working poor, reached out to congregations through Faith Community Nursing, added soothing elements to the emergency center, placed a spare bed in a private room for a spouse to stay close by and allowed an ailing patient to order his favorite milkshake from his hospital bed.
With our leading technological advancements and personalized care, we are efficiently providing the best quality of care to our patients. As a faith-based organization, our mission is to improve the health of our entire community, and we continue to partner with our stakeholders to tackle challenges facing all of its people. We offer compassion and kindness to every patient, family member and guest who walks through our doors and to those who live and work in the community we serve. By personalizing service, connecting with the community’s needs and offering a health care experience that seeks to heal the patient’s mind, body and spirit, we retain our position as a leading health care organization and a vital community resource.